Do you know that you can upgrade your existing UMID card to an ATM card? That’s right! You can apply for a UMID ATM Pay Card and enjoy the privileges of a bank account and an ATM card. The best thing of all is that any SSS member can apply for the card, and the application process takes no more than an hour using a smartphone or computer.
In collaboration with the Union Bank of the Philippines, the Social Security System (SSS) has introduced the UMID ATM Pay Card in an effort to promote financial inclusion in the country and to facilitate the disbursement of loans and benefits. All SSS members with an existing and valid UMID card can upgrade to the ATM Pay Card for free.
Using the UMID ATM Pay Card, you can receive the proceeds of your SSS benefits in your UnionBank account and withdraw the money at any automated teller machine (ATM) nationwide. You can also use your ATM card for in-store and online transactions such as shopping and bills payments. It’s basically an ATM card, Visa debit card, SSS ID, and bank account rolled into one!
There’s no need to visit the SSS office because you can apply for the UMID ATM Pay Card using only your computer or smartphone. The card will then be delivered to your doorsteps upon successful account opening on the UnionBank website or mobile app.
Table of Contents
- What is the UMID ATM Pay Card?
- UMID ATM Pay Card Requirements and Eligibility
- UMID ATM Pay Card Step-by-Step Application Process
- Part 1: Submit Data Sharing Consent on the SSS Member Portal
- Step 1: Login to the SSS member portal
- Step 2: Click “Services” and then “Upgrade to UMID ATM Pay Card”
- Step 3: Click the banner to submit data sharing consent
- Step 4: Review your mailing address and contact information
- Step 5: Submit your data sharing consent
- Step 6: Confirm your contact information
- Step 7: Take note of your transaction number
- Part 2: Open Your UMID ATM Pay Card Account in UnionBank
- Step 1: Download the UnionBank mobile app
- Step 2: Open a new account
- Step 3: Choose “SSS UMID Pay Card”
- Step 4: Read and agree to the terms and conditions
- Step 5: Enter your SSS details and personal information
- Step 6: Verify your SSS details
- Step 7: Create your UnionBank profile
- Step 8: Enter your financial information
- Step 9: Indicate your account purpose
- Step 10: Affix your signature
- Step 11: Confirm your mailing address
- Step 12: Review and submit
- Step 13: Your UnionBank UMID Pay Card account has been created
- Part 1: Submit Data Sharing Consent on the SSS Member Portal
- Activate Your SSS UMID Pay Card
- Final Thoughts
What is the UMID ATM Pay Card?
The UMID ATM Pay Card is the new and improved version of the Unified Multi-Purposed ID (UMID) card for the digital age. The new ID card is not only an identification card, it also serves as a debit card that you can use to withdraw money from ATMs and to pay for offline and online transactions.
Furthermore, the SSS UMID ATM Pay Card is connected to your UnionBank savings account. You don’t need to open a separate UnionBank account because it will be automatically created upon successful application.
Here’s a list of what you can do with your UMID ATM Pay Card account:
- Receive your SSS benefits and loan proceeds directly in your UnionBank savings account;
- Withdraw money at any UnionBank, BancNet and Visa Plus ATM nationwide;
- Send money to other local bank accounts via InstaPay and PESONet;
- Deposit funds at any UnionBank branch or at more than 20,000 partners nationwide;
- Pay or shop online using your Visa debit card;
- Swipe your card at any card reader or payment terminal;
- Buy load or pay bills online via the UnionBank mobile app;
- Use your card at over 20 million Visa establishments worldwide;
- And many more!
UMID ATM Pay Card Requirements and Eligibility
As mentioned, SSS members with existing regular UMID cards (or with pending applications) can apply to upgrade their cards.
You are eligible to upgrade to the UMID ATM Pay Card if:
- You have applied for the regular UMID card in the last 10 years,
- You wish to replace your lost card or update your card details, or
- You have already applied for the regular UMID card but have not yet received it.
Each member can have only one UMID ATM Pay Card account. You are not allowed to apply for two or more accounts.
Interested in upgrading your UMID card? Look no further because I’ve prepared a complete, step-by-step guide to help you upgrade your old UMID card to the new ATM Pay Card.
UMID ATM Pay Card Step-by-Step Application Process
Before you proceed with your application, make sure that your SSS member details, particularly your mailing address and contact number, are correct and updated. This ensures that you will receive your new UMID card without any problems and delays.
If your mailing address and contact details are not up to date, just login to the SSS member portal and update your contact information by going to “MEMBER INFO” and then “Update Contact Info.” Read this article to learn how to update your SSS member information.
The application process is divided into two parts. The first part is the submission of the data sharing consent on the SSS member portal, and the second part is the opening of the UMID ATM Pay Card account in UnionBank.
Part 1: Submit Data Sharing Consent on the SSS Member Portal
Step 1: Login to the SSS member portal
Using your web browser, login to the SSS member portal at https://member.sss.gov.ph. If you don’t have an account yet, read this article to learn how register your SSS online account.
Step 2: Click “Services” and then “Upgrade to UMID ATM Pay Card”
Once signed in to your SSS account, click “SERVICES” on the menu bar, and then on the dropdown menu, click “Upgrade to UMID ATM Pay Card.”
You’re now taken to the “Upgrade to UMID ATM Pay Card” page. Click the first banner which says: “Mag-submit ng Data Sharing Consent for UMID ATM Pay Card Upgrade.”
You may also click the other banners to learn how to install the UnionBank online banking app and to open your savings account with the said bank.
Step 4: Review your mailing address and contact information
Review and double-check your SSS membership records including your mailing address and contact details, making sure that they are correct and updated.
Your mobile number, SSS number, mother’s maiden name, and UMID transaction number will be used by UnionBank to verify your identity. If any of your information are incorrect or inaccurate, click the “Update” button to be taken to a page where you can update these details.
Once you’re done reviewing your information, click the “Proceed with Consent” button.
Step 5: Submit your data sharing consent
Carefully read the Data Sharing Consent agreement. If you agree and give your consent to share your UMID data with the Participating Financial Institution (in this case, UnionBank), check the box for “I confirm that I have read and understood the foregoing rules…”
Click the “Submit” button to continue.
Step 6: Confirm your contact information
Another popup will appear, this time to confirm that your mobile number and email address are correct.
Finally, click “Confirm” to submit your application.
Step 7: Take note of your transaction number
If successful, you will receive an email containing your transaction number, along with the instructions on how to open your UMID ATM Pay Card account in UnionBank. Take note of your UMID ATM Pay Card transaction number as you will use it to open your UnionBank account.
Now let’s proceed to Part 2 which is to open a UnionBank savings account. You can do it through the UnionBank online banking website or the UnionBank mobile app. I recommend the mobile app because it’s more convenient and you can check your account anywhere you go.
Part 2: Open Your UMID ATM Pay Card Account in UnionBank
Step 1: Download the UnionBank mobile app
If you don’t want to download the app, or if you prefer to use your computer, you may open your account on the UnionBank website instead. The account opening process is more or less the same as the procedure in the mobile app.
Note: If you’re already have an existing UnionBank account and would like to open a separate account for the UMID ATM Pay Card, you can open a new account by opening the UnionBank mobile app and navigating to Manage > Add Account > Open a New Account.
Step 2: Open a new account
After installing the UnionBank mobile app, open it and tap “Open An Account.”
Choose the product that you want to open. Since the UMID is a government-issued card, select “Government Card with Savings.”
A popup dialog with an important notice will appear, so just press “Continue.”
Step 3: Choose “SSS UMID Pay Card”
In the next screen, you’ll see an overview of the UMID ATM Pay Card with its corresponding fees and interest rate:
- Initial Deposit – ₱0.00
- Maintaining Balance Requirement – ₱0.00
- Minimum Average Daily Balance (ADB) to Earn Interest – ₱0.00
- Interest Rate – 0.1%
Scroll down and press “Choose This Card” to continue to the next step.
Step 4: Read and agree to the terms and conditions
Carefully read the customer declaration, the SSS UMID Pay Card agreement, and the data privacy statement.
Press “I Agree” to proceed.
Step 5: Enter your SSS details and personal information
Provide the following required information (make sure that your provided details are the same as the ones in your My.SSS account):
- SSS Details
- SSS UMID Transaction Number – Enter your UMID transaction number that was assigned to you after successful submission of data sharing consent in Part 1 of this tutorial. The transaction number is also listed in the confirmation email sent by SSS. This number consists of 20 alphanumeric characters and is case-sensitive.
- SSS Number – Provide your 10-digit SSS number (usually starts with “0”). If you forgot your SSS number, read this article to learn how to retrieve it.
- Personal Information
- Nationality – Choose “Filipino” unless you’re a foreign national.
- Mobile Number – Enter the last 10 digits of your registered mobile number in SSS.
- Mother’s Maiden Name – “Maiden name” is your mother’s complete name before marriage.
- First Name
- Middle Name – Input your mother’s maiden middle name.
- Last Name – Indicate your mother’s maiden surname or family name.
Press “Continue” and wait for UnionBank to confirm your SSS details.
A one-time password (OTP) will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP to continue.
Step 6: Verify your SSS details
Review your provided details and make sure that they are correct and accurate.
Scroll down and press “Yes, These Are Correct.” Otherwise, tap “Update Details” and edit your information.
Step 7: Create your UnionBank profile
Next, you’ll need to set a username and password for your UnionBank profile. The password should be 8-30 characters long and contains at least one number and symbol.
After setting your password, press “Next.”
Step 8: Enter your financial information
Provide the following required financial information:
- Financial Information
- Employment Status – Indicate whether you’re employed, self-employed, student, retired, or unemployed.
- Employer / Business Name – If you’re employed or self-employed, enter the name of your employer or business.
- Business Industry – Select the industry that corresponds to your company or business. If none matches, choose “Others.”
- Occupation – Select your job or occupation.
- Business Address
- Unit / House No. – Enter the unit or house number where your company or business is located.
- Building / Street Name – Provide the name of the building or street where your company or business is located.
- Village / Barangay – Enter the name of your barangay.
- Province – Select your province from the dropdown field.
- City – Choose your city or municipality from the dropdown field.
Press “Next” to proceed to the next step.
Step 9: Indicate your account purpose
Indicate the purpose of your UMID Pay Card account:
- Purpose – If your account is intended for the disbursement of your SSS benefits, choose “SSS Benefits/Personal Savings.”
- Estimated Monthly Transaction – Indicate the estimated total amount (in Philippine pesos) that you intend to transact monthly. To choose the amount, press the slider and drag it to the right. The maximum is ₱1 million.
- US Citizenship – Since you’re a Filipino, check the box for “I certify I am not a US citizen.”
Press “Next” to continue.
Step 10: Affix your signature
UnionBank requires three (3) copies of your digital signature. Using your finger or stylus, draw your signature on the line. Do this three times.
Step 11: Confirm your mailing address
Choose your preferred card delivery address by tapping either the “Mailing Address” or the “Permanent Address” button. Double-check that your address is correct and up-to-date to ensure that the card gets to you safely.
When you’re done, press “Confirm Delivery Details.”
Step 12: Review and submit
Review all your information and confirm that everything is correct and up-to-date. If you want to edit your information, press “Edit” and modify your details accordingly.
After reviewing your details, check the box for “I have read and agreed to the Customer Declaration, Terms and Conditions, and Data Privacy Clause.”
Finally, press “Confirm and Submit” to complete your application.
Step 13: Your UnionBank UMID Pay Card account has been created
Congratulations! You have successfully opened your SSS UMID ATM Pay Card account in UnionBank. Please await the delivery of your new UMID card to your mailing address. Your card will be delivered in 15 banking days for Metro Manila addresses and 20 banking days for provincial addresses.
While awaiting delivery of your card, you can start using your UnionBank account to send or receive money, pay bills, buy load, and many more. Just login to the UnionBank mobile app using the username and password you’ve previously set in Step 7.
Activate Your SSS UMID Pay Card
When you’ve finally received your SSS UMID ATM Pay Card, you need to activate it before using it to withdraw money from ATMs and perform cashless transactions. To activate your UMID Pay Card, just follow these steps:
- Login to the UnionBank mobile app.
- Once logged in, tap “Activate Card.”
- Select “Debit Card.”
- Enter the following card details:
- 16-digit UMID Pay Card number – You can find your card number at the back of your card.
- Expiry date – You can find the card’s expiry date in MM/YY format at the back of your ATM card (look for “Valid Thru”).
- Your birth date – Enter your date of birth in MM/DD/YYYY format. For example, August 15, 1990 is 08/15/1990.
- Press “Activate.”
- Enter the one-time password (OTP) that was sent to your mobile number.
- Congratulations! Your UMID ATM Pay Card has been activated.
The SSS UMID Pay Card is a great opportunity to have your own ATM card and savings account, especially if you don’t have either yet. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by! Upgrade your UMID card now and enjoy the benefits of a Visa debit card and UnionBank account in one powerful government-issued ID card!
If you have any questions and concerns about the SSS UMID ATM Pay Card, feel free to call the SSS customer service hotline (02) 8841-8600.